The 2017 OSBA Southwest Spring Conference was held Tuesday night, March 14th, at the Warren County Career Center. Dr. David Vail was recognized as the Southwest Region Outstanding Superintendent. Dr. Vail is in his 36th year of education and has been Superintendent of Miamisburg City Schools since 2012.
Letters of recommendation were written by Board Member Kathy Bates, MCTA President Jason Curry, Mayor Dick Church and Athletic Director Jason Osborne. Kathy Bates, who initiated the nomination, along with other Board Members said "It is with great pleasure that I, along with a unanimous board, nominate Dr. David Vail as OSBA’s Outstanding Superintendent. Dr. Vail has spent over 35 years as an educator in the state of Ohio. Teaching mathematics was his passion and his students benefited greatly from learning under his tutelage. He often comments on how much he loved teaching his students. After great success as a teacher, David, as he prefers to be called; less formal he says, served in various roles as an administrator in several districts. His talents then led him to become a highly regarded Superintendent. After the retirement of a respected Superintendent, who was a beloved employee of the Miamisburg City School District for most of his career, we had the ominous task of finding a qualified individual to fill those shoes. We saw this as the unreachable star, until David walked in the door. The moment the board and the cabinet met him we knew we had captured not only the unreachable star but Sirius, the brightest star in earth’s night sky. His impeccable credentials, his easy going demeanor, his genuine humility, and most especially, that infectious sense of humor won the cabinet and the board over immediately. We as a board knew this is the kind of Superintendent that the Miamisburg City School District staff, students and community deserve to have as their leader."
Jason Curry is the Miamisburg Classroom Teachers' Association (MCTA) President and a Social Studies teacher at Miamisburg High School. He said "I have been a teacher in Miamisburg City Schools for almost twenty years and have been actively involved in our Miamisburg Classroom Teachers’ Association (local OEA/NEA affiliate) for almost as long. During almost all of Dr. Vail’s tenure in Miamisburg, I have had the pleasure of serving as MCTA President. Dr. Vail had a made a lasting impression on our school district and our community. You can see his influence in the classroom, on the athletic fields, in our facilities, and the renewed sense of pride we have as Miamisburg Vikings. I hope that this letter gives you insight into what makes Dr. David Vail a deserving candidate for the title of Outstanding Superintendent of Southwest Ohio.
Mayor Dick Church stated "Personally, I find Dr. Vail to be an engaging, dedicated member of the community, and I'm pleased to have him at the helm of the Miamisburg City School District."
Jason Osborne said "As the Athletic Director of Miamisburg City Schools, I have had the pleasure of working with Dr. Vail for the past five years. Being a former Athletic Director himself, Dr. Vail has been instrumental in my growth in this position. He has always made himself available when needed, while working through daily issues. I have been able to get advice from Dr. Vail at any time of the day. He engages with students and staff and shows his support by attending many after school events throughout the year."
Congratulation to Dr. Vail!
On Saturday, March 11, fifteen teams from Miamisburg City Schools competed in the Destination Imagination Region 12 Competition at Sinclair Community College. Four high school teams, two middle school teams, and one elementary school team (with students from Kinder, Mound, and Jane Chance) will be advancing to state competition in April. We are so proud of all of the teams as they represented Miamisburg spectacularly well!
Technical: Show & Tech
· Miamisburg DI5 managed by Jarrett and Melissa Kachenmeister with members Heba Fatima, Corbin Kachenmeister, Jeffery Razor, Nora Skudlarek, and Matthew Thompson. First place in elementary division. Advancing to State Competition.
Scientific: Top Secret
· Miamisburg High School managed by Robin Timpe, Christine Clayton, and Greg Pelfrey with members Blake Boyd, Owen Clayton, Eliza Gauthier, and Brady Timpe. First place in senior division. Advancing to State Competition.
· D.I.-monds managed by Misty Tinney with members Max Branham, Preslei Copper, Veyda Gerlach, Julia Hardacre, Jonathan Price, Logan Tinney, and Noah Tinney. Thirteenth place in elementary division.
· The Miamisburg Incredible Spy Stars managed by Ginger Schwieterman and Jamie Dodd with members Taha Alhaddad, Izabella Dodd, Reu-El Gogo, Spencer Massmann, Kayleigh Muchow, and Mady Schwieterman. Tenth place in elementary division.
Engineering: In It Together
· Virtual Polygon ^5 managed by Lisa Levan with members Serina Gibson, Maycei Griffin, Grace Levan, Jake Riffel, and Cylas Whiting. First place in senior division. Advancing to State Competition.
· Straight Outta Miamisburg managed by Jim Noel and Rob Thompson with members Chrys Alobwede, JD Gillum, Mason Lucas, Julian McCray, David Noel, Aiden Tallet, and Josh Thompson. First place in middle division. Advancing to State Competition.
Fine Arts: Vanished!
· Bulldogs managed by Sarah Buzek with members Ella Buzek, Nico Crawford, Ashika Desai, Ella Manning, Kevin McKinney, Maiya McKinney, and Ryleigh Sadler. Tenth place in elementary division.
· DIY: Destination Imagination Yourself! Managed by Ben Davis and Casey Haper with members Ian Davis, Ryleigh Davis, Brooklyn Haper, Madison Hardin, Tristan Million, and Sergio Nguyen. Sixth place in elementary division.
· Mound Gophers managed by Duane Bellert and April Hauser with members Destiney Adams, Maddie Bellert , Cayla Cole , Kenlee Gore, Malak Hamed, Audrey Mawditt, and Gracie Mawditt. Fourth place in elementary division.
· 3rDI Blind managed by Christine Clayton with members Blake Boyd, Owen Clayton, and Brady Timpe. First place in senior division. Advancing to State Competition.
· The Fitabulous MiamisBurgers managed by Donna and Jim Fontaine with members Cole Boyd, Khadija Fatima, Renee Schroeder, Sabrina Sedlacko, and Jonathan Sulgrove. Third place in senior division.
· # Not Sponsored managed by Sara Howard with members Payton Eberhart, Madison Graham, Hunter Hall, Olivia Howard, and Anna Jenks. First place in middle division. Advancing to State Competition.
· Bizzarro Galaxy Unicorns managed by Chuck Sedlacko with members Dovea Gogo, Marissa Johnson, Sydney Little, Allie Matheny, Grace Matheny, and Samantha Sedlacko. Second place in middle division.
Project Outreach: Ready, Willing, & Fable!
· The Fitabulous MiamisBurgers managed by Donna and Jim Fontaine with members Cole Boyd, Khadija Fatima, Renee Schroeder, Sabrina Sedlacko, and Jonathan Sulgrove. Second place in senior division. Advancing to State Competition.
Rising Stars: Save the Day!
· Awesome Pigs managed by Misty Tinney and Kristen Sharkey with members Paxton Haper, Gabe Howard , Lila Krull, Logan Sharkey, and Noah Tinney. Rising Stars do not compete for placement.
Please congratulate team members and team managers! They have all worked so hard these past months, and their dedication showed on Saturday. Additionally, best of luck to the seven teams continuing on to state competition on Saturday, April 8 at the Mount Vernon High School and Middle School complex in Mt. Vernon, Ohio!